Monday, October 29, 2007

Writing about Ms. Austen

Anyone who knows me, know how I feel about the late great Ms. Jane Austen. It started as a prerequisite to getting my Bachelor of Arts in English Literature from San Francisco State University and ended with my agressive passion for 19th Century literature and most of all the lovely Ms. Jane. She was an extraordinary woman who understood herself and those around her. Her perception of 19th Century life and the roles people had to abide by is fascinating. She knew what was expected of her, but chose to take her life as her own. She did as her mind and heart wanted and not what her family or society wanted. Before I start to babble, I'll get to the point of this blog entry...
A friend of mine sent me a book that she thought I would enjoy...a novel by LaurieViera Rigler called Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict. I got the package on a Friday and with the first opening of the book, I was halfway through by Saturday morning. This Laurie Viera Rigler read right into my imagination of wondering what it would be like to be a 21st Century girl in a 19th Century world. She captures the feelings and essence of wonder and amazement at the priorities of the family in which the character has awaken to. There is one passage that I have to share with you all...The main character, Courtney, is describing her love for Jane Austen in a way that takes the very words out of my mouth. Courtney feels as I do about Jane; a mixture of admiration and anxiety...Read it here....

"I am too afraid of exposing myself to such a literary group, who would no doubt think me unworthy because my entree to Austen was via Colin Firth prancing around in tight pants for the BBC. So what if I ran out and bought all the novels and read every single one before I saw another adaptation. A woman with a Jane Austen action figurem still in the box no less (because the box is the best part), would surely be shunned by such scholarly folk."
Chapter 11, Page 65

Although I do not have the action figure, the thought that I could get my hands on one is tempting enough for me to get on E-Bay. This quote confirmed in me that I was not the only one who does not deem herself an expert of Literature, but has an amazing adoration for Austen and her writing. LONG LIVE The Jane Austen Addicts!

No comments: