Wednesday, November 5, 2008

HISTORY

Most of us view history as a study of the past for those of us in the future to look back on for change or even reassurance. As Barack Obama was announced the 44th President-Elect, I recognized that I had become a part of history. In the future when children and teachers in classrooms talk about the first ever elected African American President, I can say that I remember this exact moment. The emotions I am feeling; the love and support I see around me; the idea that we can come together as a nation to make a change that is so necessary and is a long time coming. I do also want to say that although we are rejoicing in this monumental acheivement, we also need to be aware that this is not the end, but the very beginning of a journey that will continually be history in the making! Here is my favorite excerpt from Obama's acceptance speech last night:

"For that is the true genius of America – that America can change. Our union can be perfected. And what we have already achieved gives us hope for what we can and must achieve tomorrow."

This is just the beginning for us!

No comments: