Thursday, November 8, 2007

Seasons Change

After a lingering summer and a few days of rain and humidity, the Fall Season is upon us in the nation's capitol. I woke up to a brisk Monday morning this week feeling energized because of the time change. I am ready to start the new week. As I wait for the G2 bus at the end of my block, I noticed the trees. The leaves on the trees have changed from a dark green to a mixture of yellowish-orange. The air smells fresh and crisp as I take a deep breath in through my nose. It makes me smile. I can't believe I am witnessing the seasons change. In the Bay Area, there was one straight season for the whole year, which is all the seasons combined. The rain comes in waves and then there are days and days of sunshine. My wardrobe is definitely one from California; no jacket thicker than a track-jacket from A&F. Those that have been in D.C. through a few winters laugh at the sight of my thin sweaters as if they could ever keep me warm. As a slight wind blows my way, I begin to feel the chill. The feeling is a different kind of cold. It's a kind of cold that makes me wonder if I shouldn't have put on another layer or two. The fur-lined boots are now a necessity rather than a fashion statement. My smile slowly disappears. I mentioned the cold to a co-worker and she said, "Get ready, this is just the beginning." This worried me a bit, but take small comfort in knowing that I'm not in the northeast or the mid-west where is apparently can be 20 degrees below zero. INSANE! I know that the Bay Area is not the O.C., but the coldest I've ever felt was maybe 40 degrees, whereas it is in the high 40s here now and I am already complaining. What have I gotten myself into? Whose great idea was it to move here anyway? Oh yeah, it was mine!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

crap I just got a chill just reading this blog! stay warm my little samwee! xoxo