Friday, December 11, 2009

When Its Cold Outside...

After a long day of revising briefs, arranging meetings, finalizing menus, and basically running around after the partners, I slipped off my heels and into my fur lined boots, wrapped my scarf around my neck, buttoned up my wool coat and readied myself to face the 30 degree weather. As I walked out the lobby door, a gush of wind flew across my face. I stopped right in my tracks because although I was bundled up, my face was still exposed and that gush felt like a slap across my cheeks. I took in a deep breath and began the short walk to the train station. Once there, I was happy to remove my gloves and reach for my latest treat, my book. 8 stops later and I had gloves on, rebuttoned my coat and was ready to face the cold again. The walk home was short, but definitely not sweet. In the cold, I always try to walk at a quicker pace than my usual Cali stroll. Once I get to the hill that is both my friend and enemy in my quest towards my home, I take in another deep breath and start. Once in apartment, I immediately begin to strip away all the layers that remind me of this wretched cold.

Dinner and wine and now cuddled up in my bed with my book, I hear the wind blowing outside. I take a moment to take in the weather and begin to feel nostalic for love or the comfort of being in love which as we know has two completely different meanings. Instead of going back to my reading, I decided to look up poems by a poet I have been newly introduced to...Khalil Gibran. How I hadn't heard from him before now, I don't know, but his writings have become a great influence and comfort for me. In searching through all the many poems and beginning to feel more calm because great writing has that effect on me. I then came across a poem by Khalil Gibran and as I read it the cold seemed to draft away from me. I became calmed and ready for bed. Here is an excerpt from the poem to share with you guys.

Winter

Come close to me, oh companion of my full life;
Come close to meand let not Winter's touch
Enter between us. Sit by me beforethe hearth,
For fireis the only fruit of Winter.
Speak to me of the glory of your heart, for
That is greater than the shrieking elements
Beyond our door.
Bind the door and seal the transoms, for the
Angry countenance of the heaven depresses my
Spirit, and the face of our snow-laden fields
Make my soul cry.
Feed the lamp with oil and let it not dim, and
Place it by you, so I can read with tears what
Your life with me has written upon your face.
Bring Autumn's wine. Let us drink and sing the
Song of remembrance to Spring's carefree sowing,
And Summer's watchful tending, and Autumn's
Reward in harvest.
Come close to me, oh beloved of my soul; the
Fire is cooling and fleeing under the ashes.
Embrace me, for I fear lonliness; the lamp is
Dim, and the wine which we pressed is closing
Our eyes. Let us look upon each other before
They are shut.
Find me with your arms and embrace me; let
Slumber then embrace our souls as one.
Kiss me, my beloved, for Winter has stolen
All but our moving lips.
You are close by me, My Forever.
How deep and wide will be the ocean of Slumber,
And how recent was the dawn!

-Khalil Gibran

No comments: